Sophie Chappell, an associate with Couple and Family Therapy Montreal, is a Canadian Certified Counsellor and Creative Arts Therapist. She has experience working with adults, teens and children both individually and in groups, including youth of refugee and asylum seeking families, individuals with special needs, young adults of the LGBTQ+ community and seniors aged 55+.
Sophie’s therapeutic approach integrates art interventions with verbal counselling, offering a multifaceted strategy to address a diverse array of issues. With clients drawn to use creativity to process and work through issues, Sophie has the option to use theatre, art and music as therapeutic tools to help clients cut through defense mechanisms and gain different perspectives. Sophie is equally at ease and experienced with verbal counselling approaches, based on client needs and preferences. She currently specializes in issues related to interpersonal difficulties, low self-esteem, and gender identity and sexuality. Sophie’s approach is trauma-informed, she is LGBTQIA2+ affirming and she strives for cultural humility in her practice. Sophie offers services in English.
Sophie’s Professional Training and Credentials
- Professional member of the Quebec Art Therapy Association
- Canadian Certified Counsellor with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA)
- Professional member of the Academy of Naturopaths and Naturotherapists of Canada (ACNN)
- M.A., Creative Arts Therapies (Drama Therapy Option), Concordia University
- B.F.A., University of Victoria
- B.A., Psychology, Concordia University